Sunday, October 7, 2012

Vacation Magnet Boards!




One of my favorite things to bring back from vacations are magnets.If there wasn't a magnet to be found then I would bring back something that could be turned into a magnet. I know, to some it may not seem very exciting but for us it's been a fun way to document the things we have done and the places we have been. The front of our refrigerator seems to have many stories to tell. However, it was getting quite full and I needed to create some space for another project. I remembered watching one of those DIY painting shows(I can't remember the name of the show) where they used magnetic paint on the walls to create a sort of magnet message board. I thought that was a fun and clever idea but since we're renting our house, putting magnetic paint on the walls isn't an option. But if magnetic paint could go on the walls then surely it could be used on wood panels. Finding the wood wasn't going to be a problem but I wasn't so sure about the magnetic paint. After searching online I was surprised to find that my local art/craft store had some. So I got the wood and the paint and started to experiment.

 After sanding and cleaning the wood you start painting your layers of magnetic paint. You will want to paint at least 3 to 4 layers of the paint allowing at least an hour drying time in between each layer. Let that cure for at least 24 hours.

If you want to leave the boards the gray color you can or you can give it a coat of color. I only did one layer of the blue since this was my first time experimenting with magnetic paint. I prefer using multiple hues instead of one solid color.  I think it adds a nice variety to the finished piece. I didn't want to add to much detail since the front of the board would be covered. After you are finished with the color you will want to let that dry and cure for another 24 hours.
 
  
You can hang these in many different ways. On the oval I put in a traditional picture hanger and on the rectangle I put in silver hooks to which I used a sharpie to color the nail and hook. I think that's  another fun way to add variety to a project.

 
Once that's all done you are ready to place your magnets. I really loved how this turned out. It's been a fun piece of art that reminds us of all our favorite memories each time we pass by.

No comments:

Post a Comment